Monday 22 November 2010

Psoriasis

Those who know me will be aware that I am a long term sufferer of psoriasis. I’ve tried every treatment the medical profession has had to offer, had a go at homeopathy, hypnotherapy and Chinese herbal remedies too and nothing has cured the condition. At best treatments have ameliorated the most painful aspects of the condition, at worst they’ve left my skin prone to melanoma, so thin that the slightest bump can cause it to bleed, so painful and itchy that it’s difficult to ever rest and as a young man it was an immense blow to self confidence that only time and maturity has been able to  lessen.

Francis

It has done one thing for me though for which I will always be grateful. It led me into the work I do today. I was in social work when my health first began to disintegrate and I would probably still be doing it today had not my health made it impossible for me to continue. (At the time I was frequently  in and out of hospital.)  Whilst I enjoyed my work then I have no hesitancy in saying that I LOVE what I do now so much more. I love the people I meet, the places I get to experience and paint, the opportunity to create and get paid for doing so and the precious time it gives me with my family. I have no office to travel to, no meeting that just has to be attended. I can be there for school plays, to be a governor at my son’s special school etc., I do have to work longer hours than perhaps I would if in contracted employment. I frequently find myself working at 2am; finishing off a music lesson or a painting, but when I can accompany them with a little music to listen to it’s not so bad!

1 comment: